Geri Health Home Care Participates With Filipino Renal Nurses Association In A Blood Pressure Check Clinic
— August 28th, 2018
Geri Health Home Care participated in Blood Pressure Check Clinic with the Filipino Renal Nurses Association during Mabuhay Festival on August 25, 2018, held at Nathan Phillip’s Square, Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Geri Health Home Care is committed to community involvement and achieving Heath and Wellness. It was a great opportunity to share what we love to do in our Community: Geri Health Team Cares for the Community!
Since we have been focused on blood pressure check during this event, it’s an opportunity to share important facts about blood pressure:
- Blood Pressure (BP) is the force exerted by the blood from the heart against the walls of the blood vessel and has to be adequate to maintain tissue perfusion during activity and at rest.
- Hypertension or sustained elevation of blood pressure with systolic BP equal or greater than 140 mmHg and/or diastolic BP greater than 90 mmHg for an extended period.
- Hypertension is one of the leading causes of death and disability around the world that is preventable.
- Hypertension can cause heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and dementia.
- According to hypertension Canada, over 7.5 million Canadians have hypertension, and 7.4 million more have high blood pressure that will lead to hypertension without preventative action.
- Treatment and management of hypertension include drug therapy and lifestyle modifications.
- Lifestyle modifications include: Diet, sodium restriction, weight reduction, modification in alcohol consumption, avoidance in smoking, physical activity and stress management.
- Drug therapy is carefully managed by your physician as antihypertensive drugs have broad classifications and actions and choosing a drug is influenced by other patient’s medical conditions, patient characteristics and side effects.
- Keeping track of BP readings is significant collaborative management with the healthcare team, making sure that blood pressures are maintained in a normal range to prevent complications.
• Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. Lewis, Heitkemper & Dirksen. Nursing Management – Hypertension, pg. 777.
Geri Health Home Care ~ Call us at 416-431-6266.
Serving The Greater Toronto Area, Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan.
Anabelle Heramia is the founder of Geri Health Home Care. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Nursing in Lyceum Northwestern University in the Philippines. She started her Nursing career at a Pediatric facility in the Philippines then had the opportunity to worked in Singapore General Hospital in Singapore. She came to Canada and worked as live-in caregiver. Anabelle is very motivated person, driven by her passion of caring and her Nursing profession. She graduated the program Bridging to University Nursing at Centennial College and started working in Acute geriatric medicine at Sunnybrook Health Science Center. She also worked in Palliative Care at Providence healthcare for number of years. Her Nursing career at Sunnybrook is diverse and extensive experience, she worked in various units including step down ICU and Hemodialysis unit. Anabelle founded Geri health Home Care which is her way for her passion and dedication to care for the seniors, people with complex chronic medical problems, people who decided to live comfortably as palliative at home and most of all provide care and support for family caregivers who most of them spend so much time for their loved ones.